How to Protect your NAS Devices from Data Loss?
A Network Attached Storage (NAS) device is one of the most trusted, cheap, and flexible storage devices. It is different from other storage devices. It is a file-level data storage server connected to a network. But that does not make it safe from data loss.
Let’s understand everything that can be done to prevent data loss from NAS devices.
Reasons for NAS Data Loss
Data loss in NAS devices can occur due to a lot of reasons:
- Human Error: It can occur due to poor management of the drive by the user. This might happen due to various reasons which include improper re-formatting, re-installation, or overwriting of data. This makes it one of the most common types of errors.
- Power Failures: Power failures can also lead to data loss. This can result in a sudden drive shut down or ejection. The same holds true when voltage fluctuations occur. This is because disks can be prevented from combining with the RAID in such cases.
- Overheating: Overheating can also damage the device. This can happen if the cooling system does not work or if the device was made to operate in a heated environment. Drive failures are quite common in such cases.
- Defective NAS Controllers: Fault within the NAS Controllers can also lead to data loss. This might occur as a result of improper reorganizations or rebuilds or if the memory configuration has been overwritten.
- Mechanical Faults: Mechanical faults within the RAID systems of the drive can lead to data loss. This can happen even if a single hard drive suffers failure.
- Natural Incidents: Just like any other storage device can be damaged by external forces, so can a NAS device. This includes fire and water damage, and dust contamination.
What Are the Benefits of NAS Devices?
NAS devices come with a lot of benefits like:
- They allow users to access the stored data from multiple locations.
- You can directly connect and sync them to the cloud.
- NAS Devices are fast and reliable compared to other storage devices.
- They are priced nominally when compared to the value they provide.
- Data Privacy is given a high priority since they allow access only to users who meet the security norms. No other device comes close to this functionality.
- NAS Devices are easy to set up and run and can be used to make your own media server.
Tips to Protect Data Loss from NAS Devices
Prevention is always better than cure. Here are some useful tips that can help you protect your NAS device:
- Access Rights:Every user should have the correct access right to the data. Such limited access keeps the data highly secure.
- Backup and Encryption: The device should be regularly backed up. This includes encrypting the data for better security.
- Initial Device Setup: NAS devices make use of secure RAID configuration. But, it is important to use the correct RAID setting. RAID-0 allows faster data access. RAID-5 is better when it comes to data security.
- Testing before Scaling: You should consider testing your NAS device. This includes making sure the right people have the right access.
- Ideal Standardization and Documentation: Using a standardized system helps during data recovery. Examples include the Microsoft File System and Linux. You should also consider documenting important details about the drive which include BIOS details, controller version, etc.
- Focus on Quality: Consider the drive’s quality when you decide to buy drives for your system. The best drives come with various features such as fast access time and large caches. Also, consider buying drives of different batches as it will help you avoid any manufacturing related defects.
How to Recover Data from NAS Storage with Data Recovery Services?
If you are searching for an optimum NAS data recovery services to recover your lost data, Stellar can come to your rescue. Being an expert at handling defective NAS devices, Stellar Data Recovery can provide you with services in the following cases:
- Recovery after Single and Multiple NAS hard drive failures.
- NAS storage box data recovery.
- Data loss recovery arising from natural disasters.
- NAS control and file systems recovery.
Data Recovery Services from Stellar data recovery cannot be easily matched. Their experts and the data recovery environment are top-notch.
With the help of professional data recovery services, you can easily recover your lost data. They can recover data from all kind of storage devices and data loss situations. Their unique list of services includes the following:
- Professional Data Recovery Lab (Class 100 Clean Room Lab).
- ISO SO 9001:2015 & ISO/IEC 27001:2013.
- 25+ years of experience.
- 3+ Million Customers.
- 100 % Data security and confidentiality.
- 15 Branches across India.
- No Recovery – No Charge Policy.
All this and more makes them a unique service provider. Get in touch with Stellar Data Recovery to save your valuable data.